ASTRA JEWISH SHELTERED EMPLOYMENT CENTRE
The centre provides a comprehensive service to members of the Jewish community who have special needs (intellectual disability and/or mental illness). The service focuses on developing their potential.
- It provides employment to 65 Jewish men and women who are unable to work on the open labour market.
- Workers are taught skills in a protective and supportive environment They are involved in contract work, such as packaging goods for companies, packing circulars, as well as manufacture of a large range of unique and high quality craft goods, which are in great demand in the market place.
- There are various departments: painting, woodwork, needlework, weaving, catering and philately.
- The Workers enjoy the dignity of being occupied daily. This enhances their self-esteem while at the same time giving them the opportunity for social contact.
- A team of dedicated staff provides counseling, life skills training and encouragement for growth in a nurturing and caring environment. Parent support and counseling is offered where necessary.
- This program me is recognized worldwide and is acknowledge as a leader in the field of mental disability.
SUPPORTED EMPLOYMENT – WORKABILITY
This supported employment service assists people with special needs to find employment on the open labour market. Ongoing support is offered to the client, the employer and the family. The process involves assessment, work preparation, job coaching, job placement, counseling and support.